Welcome to the Languages Department
Key Stage 3 (Year 7 – 8)
Every student learns French from Year 7. In Year 8 some students have the opportunity to learn German in addition to French. Students learn how to understand, speak and write in the foreign language as well as learning about the culture and the countries where the language is spoken. Topics include Family, School, Hobbies, Town and local area and in Year 8, French students study about Paris.
Students are assessed in the four skill areas equally: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking, plus translation.
Key Stage 4 (year 9 – 11)
Starting in Year 9 the majority of students choose one of their languages to continue to GCSE, which broadens and extends students’ knowledge of topics first met in KS3. We follow the AQA specification (www.aqa.org.uk).
Students are assessed through terminal exams at the end of Year 11. The exams are listening, reading, speaking, and writing and each carry a weighting of 25%.
Students study the following topic areas:
Year 9: Family, New Technology, Hobbies
Year 10: House and Local Area, Environment, Holidays, Social Issues
Year 11: School, Jobs and Future plans.
Students are assessed in all of the skill areas, plus translations throughout the 3 year course. As well as the whole school Mock Exams, students will also have a mock speaking exam (Year 9 – June, Year 10 – July, Year 11- January)
To aid revision and for independent learning at home we suggest the following resources:
– www.linguascope.com username: allsai12 password: learning
– www.kerboodle.com Students have their own log in, but in case they forget it, the generic one is username: student password: kerboodle code: sy2
– Students can purchase revision guides and work books from the Department for £2.50 each
– Students have a vocabulary book and this is used throughout the 3 year course and therefore regular learning and going back over old vocabulary is crucial.
– On the VLE there is a revision folder full of practice assessments in all of the skill areas (MFL – KS4 – French/German section – REVISION)
– Students have a yellow exercise book and over the 3 years students will be preparing speaking questions for the topics listed above. This is in preparation for the speaking exam in April of Year 11 and therefore regular revision is better than cramming at the end!
A level French and/or German is available at KS5
A 2 year course designed to inspire, challenge and motivate students. Students study a wide variety of set texts and films which are rich in cultural references to broaden their horizons and knowledge. Students develop their linguistic skills alongside their understanding of the culture and society of the countries where the language is spoken.
In Year 1, students study a range of topics including family, the internet and social networking, fashion and music as well as traditions and festivals in the country where the language is spoken.
Students also study a book.
In Year 2, students study more complex topics such as immigration, the European Union as well as key historical events.
In addition students study a film and complete a research project on a subject of their choice.
|Paper 1 Listening, Reading & Writing||2 hours 30 minutes||50%|
|Paper 2 Writing||2 hours||20%|
(One essay in French/German on the book and one essay in French/German on the film)
|Paper 3 Speaking||21-23 minutes (including 5 mins preparation)||30%|
(Discussion of one of the topic based on a stimulus card / presentation and discussion of individual research project)